Why driver frustration forced F1 to revise the rules? Understanding the “superclipping” controversy
Current Formula 1 champion Lando Norris has called for drivers to have a stronger voice in the creation of regulations.
The rule package introduced this season continues to spark debate among fans, team bosses, and competitors, and the FIA has already implemented two measures to try to reduce complaints—one of which takes effect in 2027.
{IMAGE_1}
Lando Norris during the Australian Grand Prix weekend — Photo: Hollie Adams/Reuters
The main driver complaints center on three areas: excessive battery management (both in qualifying and races), driver safety, and overtaking moves described as artificial by some on the grid. All are interconnected and stem from the increased prominence of the electric component, now responsible for about 50% of the car’s power.
Before the Miami Grand Prix, seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton said drivers should have “a seat at the table” when decisions about rules are made. Currently, decisions generally consider the opinions of the FIA, Formula 1 shareholders, team principals, and engine suppliers. Norris agreed with the Ferrari driver’s view.
“We have to give our opinion, honestly. We want the fans to have a great time, we want to enjoy ourselves. We also want F1 to be what we grew up watching—races with full speed, which isn’t what we’ve had so far,” the Briton told Motorsport.
With this season’s engine regulation changes, cars have limited battery recharging capacity, causing huge speed differences when approaching for overtakes and prompting energy management techniques. In some cases, drivers have reported overtaking rivals “without meaning to.”
Despite the increase in overtakes, Norris believes this is not the best way to make racing more appealing—which was a complaint under the previous regulations, where cars struggled to pass using only the slipstream.
{IMAGE_2}
Antonelli, Norris and Verstappen battle for the lead in the Miami GP — Photo: Brett Farmer/LAT Images
“Having good races doesn’t necessarily mean someone with 100% battery and someone with zero. You know, that’s not how real racing should be. It should be done by allowing cars to follow more closely—by having less weight, better tires that are more resilient to chasing, temperature issues, and things like that—not by implementing batteries, wings, and all these things we’re doing now,” he criticized.
During the forced April break, the FIA studied solutions and introduced measures to improve not only energy use but also to reduce excessive battery management techniques. Some drivers, including Norris, assessed these changes as a “small step in the right direction.”
However, competitors pointed out that the fundamental energy management issues persist, and the FIA has also indicated concern, announcing on Friday (9th) that the electric component’s share of total car power will be reduced to 40%.
Norris said he hopes the regulations can become “a little more normal” in the near future, but highlighted the difficulty of changing the rules, given the different technical and financial interests involved.
“It could be done in a slightly different way, and that’s something all us drivers are hoping for in the future. But considering the broader context—with manufacturers, partners, teams, and a business involved—some things aren’t that simple. Hopefully, in the next five years or so, things can return to being a bit more normal. I think we can create even better races.”
